Schedule A Hiring Event (North)
Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2017
Time: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Bergen Community College at the Meadowlands
1280 Wall Street West
Lyndhurst, New Jersey 07071
This Schedule A hiring event is scheduled by appointment. Please contact your VR counselor to register.
What is Schedule A?
Schedule A is a special hiring authority designed to help federal agencies meet their affirmative action obligations regarding jobseekers with disabilities. Schedule A is different than the traditional, and often time consuming process used to hire people into federal service. Schedule A makes it easier and faster to hire, and is just for jobseekers with disabilities.
The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) connects eligible individuals with jobs under the Schedule A authority. Federal human resources personnel and recruiters are invited to interview candidates at a scheduled location. Job openings that are available under the Schedule A authority will be shared with DVRS from the recruiters. DVRS will assign specific appointments to Schedule A-eligible consumers for the hiring event day, where live interviews will be conducted instead of having the traditional job fair.
Why should a federal agency/contractor consider hiring via Schedule A?
- Individuals with disabilities are an untapped source of excellent candidates.
- No public notice is required, which reduces time.
- Supports an agency’s career patterns initiative.
- Federal agencies don’t have to clear “surplus employee” lists prior to using Schedule A.
- No typical recruitment headaches.
- No need to go through the certificate process.
What federal agencies have participated?
- US Department of Labor
- US Mint
- Homeland Security
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Defense Supply
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Naval Command
How do I get involved?
Federal agencies and contractors: Register here.
In order to participate in the Schedule A hiring event, you must:
- be a consumer of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services; or
- be a consumer of the Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired; or
- be a veteran with a 30 percent or service-connected disability.
NOTE: Candidates will be pre-screened and matched to appropriate job opportunities that they will be able to interview for on the day of the event. Please contact your VR counselor to register for this event and available job vacancies.
For more information about the event, please contact ScheduleANorth@dol.nj.gov.