Mature Worker Services
WorkForce 55+ is a federally-funded program committed to empowering economically disadvantaged seniors to achieve economic independence and control of their futures.
The aim of Workforce 55+ is to help mature workers return to the workforce through an "earn while you learn" program. The program partners with community-based, nonprofit organizations and government agencies to provide participants with training to update their skills. Program participants receive counseling, assessments, and training to obtain employment.
Do I qualify?
- Are you 55 years of age or older?
- Are you seeking employment training?
- Are you currently unemployed?
- Are you living on a limited income?
What documents will I need to participate in Workforce 55+?
- Photo ID
- Social Security card
- Birth certificate
- Proof of income
- Social Security award letter
- Zero income letter
- Prior year tax return
Who can I contact to learn more about Workforce 55+?
|Atlantic County One-Stop Career Center||Gerald Davis||609-813-3919||609-813-3930|
|Camden County One-Stop Career Center||Gerald Davis||856-614-2171||856-614-3156|
|Cape May County One-Stop Career Center||Gerald Davis||609-729-0997||609-729-8455|
|Cumberland County One-Stop Career Center||Gerald Davis||856-238-6742||856-238-6810|
|Essex County One-Stop Career Center - East Orange||Sharon Sowell||973-395-3247||
|Gloucester County One-Stop Career Center||Gerald Davis||856-853-3989||856-384-3761|
|Hudson County One-Stop Career Center - Jersey City||Geneva Bentley-Lewis||
|Middlesex County One-Stop Career Center - New Brunswick||Patricia Foster||732-937-5237||732-418-3345|
|Monmouth County One-Stop Career Center - Neptune||Patricia Foster||732-775-1402||732-775-6125|
|Sussex County One-Stop Career Center||Sharon Sowell||973-383-2775||973-383-8350|
|Union County One-Stop Career Center - Plainfield||Patricia Foster||908-412-7969||908-412-7751|
New Start Career Network
The goal to the New Start Career Network (NSCN) is to provide older (age 45+), long-term unemployed New Jersey jobseekers with access to personalized career services, including web-based information resources and in-person and virtual career coaching.
Three-quarters of New Jersey's long-term unemployed have been out of work for over a year, and about half of them are over the age of 45. The New Start Career Network is designed to help fill this gap. Operated by the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University, the NSCN's resources include:
- Information and advice about the labor market, careers, and education and training options.
- Tutorials on making wise choices and improving job search skills.
- Coaching through peer-support networks and job clubs.
- Incentives that encourage employers to provide trial employment opportunities and on-the-job training.
- Employer engagement and commitments from employers to reform hiring practices.
- Access and refferrals to a broad range of services, including education, training, mental health counseling, and financial advising.
Tips for mature workers
Exploring a new career or searching for a job can be challenging for some mature workers. This section will provide some useful tips to help mature workers stay competitive in the job market, including resume writing, basic computer tutorials, help with job search, employers seeking mature workers, and understanding age discrimination.