Practice makes perfect. This is true especially when it comes to interviewing. Practice your interview techniques with a mock interview and learn how to strengthen your interviewing skills to impress a potential employer.
What is a mock interview?
A mock interview is a 30-minute videotaped or recorded session of you being interviewed by a professional in a practice interview situation.
To prepare for the session:
- research the company/industry of interest.
- investigate and identify the most common industry traits sought in that company/industry (analytical skills, communication skills, business knowledge, and problem-solving skills).
- script responses to potential questions regarding your experience.
During the session:
- dress in appropriate attire as though you are actually interviewing with a company.
- greet the interviewer with an enthusiastic handshake and smile.
- listen to the questions asked.
- ask for clarification if the question is not clear.
- keep your answers concise and to the point.
- make sure you are selling yourself to the interviewer; highlight your good qualities.
- have questions prepared to ask the interviewer, such as "what do you expect from an employee?" and "are there any company procedures I should be aware of?"
Reviewing your interview
When reviewing the recording of your mock interview:
- listen to your responses to questions with an open mind.
- did you come across the way you expected?
- is there anything you didn't say that could have made your interview more memorable to the interviewer?
- how do you think you may have been perceived by the interviewer?