Resume Formatting Tips (Chronological & Functional Resumes)
Properly formatting your resume improves readability and projects professionalism. Here are some popular formatting guidelines:
- Length: One to two pages in most circumstances; if you have a two-page resume, place name and page number in footer of document.
- Alignment: Left aligned, except the heading, which is typically centered.
- Margins: One inch – top, bottom, and sides.
- Font: Times New Roman, Cambria, or a similar font.
- Font size: 10 to 12 point; section titles may as large as 14 point.
- Font styles: Bold your name and section headings.
- Paper color and weight: white, light gray, or ivory 24 pound bond (office supply stores carry resume paper; it's a wise investment).
Other resume writing tips:
- Do not include personal information, including your age, marital status, etc.
- Use present tense verbs when describing your current position; use the past tense for your previous jobs.
- Do not use "I" or "my" when describing your capabilities, accomplishments, or experience
- Proofread it, and proofread it again. Then give it to a friend who is good at catching errors to proofread again!