All One-Stop Career Centers Closed

One-Stop Career Centers are closed due to COVID-19 response efforts. Customers with scheduled appointments will be contacted by NJDOL at a later date. Please visit us online at (609-984-9414),, and OPERATIONS WILL REMAIN CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

New Jersey Career Connections logo
print button

Client Assistance Program (CAP)


he New Jersey Client Assistance Program (CAP) is a free, federally funded program which advocates for and protects the rights of individuals with disabilities who are seeking or receiving rehabilitation services. CAP assists individuals with disabilities in securing and understanding rehabilitation services from: the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS), the Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI), the Centers for Independent Living, and other rehabilitation projects and programs.

How Can CAP Help You?

  • Help you understand your rights and services from the Department or from Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
  • Help you resolve problems or disagreements with your rehabilitation programs
  • Answer questions about rehabilitation services and CILs
  • Help you understand your responsibilities and what choices are available
  • Help you appeal a decision if you have been denied eligibility or if you are dissatisfied with your services
  • Refer you for legal representation, if necessary 
  • Cap services are free and confidential                                                         

You Have The Right To

  • Apply for services.
  • Receive services in an accessible place.
  • Have an eligibility decision made within 60 days.
  • Be fully informed about services provided by your counselor.
  • Participate in the development of your Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE).
  • Make informed choices about the services you need and the service providers you want to use.
  • Have your personal information remain confidential.
  • Review and copy information from your case file.
  • Appeal decision regarding your services.

You Have A Responsibility To

  • Make and keep appointments with the counselor or contact them to cancel and reschedule.
  • Work with the counselor, and follow through with what you say you will do.
  • Get written approval before you do something you want VR to pay for.
  • Ask your counselor to explain anything you do not understand.
  • Tell your counselor when a problem arises so he or she can help you.
  • Request that communication be in an accessible format (e.g., Braille, large print, tapes, or language other than English)

Contact CAP

  • If you have questions about services from a vocational rehabilitation program or a Center for Independent Living
  • If you have been told you are not eligible and you disagree
  • If you are having problems or delays in receiving services
  • If you disagree with a decision made by the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services or a Center for Independent Living


Write or Call


Client Assistance Program (CAP)

210 South Broad Street, 3rd flr.

Trenton, New Jersey 08608

1-609-292-9742 (Voice) or

1-800-922-7233 (NJ only)

1-609-633-7106 (TTY)