Investigating Apprenticeship Programs
Since employers want to be able to provide steady work for newly qualified journey workers, there may be a long waiting period between each new cohort or starting group of new apprentices. Here are some questions to ask as you investigate specific apprenticeship programs:
- How do I apply for the program?
- How can I get more information about the program?
- What academic or technical skills and work experience do they either require or recommend that I possess?
- How much do apprentices typically earn during the training phase?
- How often do they accept applicants into the program?
- How many applicants are selected for each group of new apprentices?
- Is there a waiting list? If so, what’s a realistic waiting time for someone applying to the program before they are interviewed or begin the training?